1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium brown onion, finely diced
650g-700g lean ground beef mice
1 long red chilli, finely diced
1 can of diced tomatoes or passata
4 cloves of garlic, finely diced
1 ½ Teaspoons sweet paprika
2 teaspoons cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander seeds powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
2 large tomatoes cut in quarters, seeds scooped out and diced
2/3 cup diced roast red peppers
1 medium cucumber, diced finely
½ cup diced spring onion
½ cup chopped fresh coriander
Juice of ½ lime
1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
1 small red chili chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
Pinch of salt
Roast Sweet Potato
2 large sweet potatos, peeled and cut into cubes
1 teaspoon smoked or sweet paprika
½ teaspoon cumin powder
Pinch of black pepper
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat ghee in a large, deep frying pan or a pot over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft and golden, about 6-7 minutes. At the same time turn the oven to 200 C / 390 F.
- Bring the heat under the onion back to high and add the beef mince in small chunks. Stir, breaking it apart, and cook for 5-6 minutes until browned evenly.
- At this time I peeled and cut the sweet potatoes – it’s all about efficiency.
- Add the spices, garlic, salt and chilli to the beef and cook for a couple of minutes together. Add the diced tomatoes and stir through, bring to a boil. Turn to low-medium heat and cook for 20 minutes, with a lid on, stirring occasionally. After 20 minutes, remove the lid, bring the hit to high and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes, stirring a few times.
- Once the beef chilli is under way, combine sweet potato with sweet paprika, cumin and olive oil and scatter in a large baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes at 200 C / 400 C. Take out of the oven, sprinkle with a generous pinch of sea salt and pepper, toss through and place back in the oven for a further 5-7 minutes.
- Prepare the salsa salad. Combined all ingredients in a salad bowl and set aside until serving.
- Cut avocado into quarters and drizzle with some lime juice to prevent any discolouration. Once everything is ready, divide between four bowls and serve with a quarter of avocado each.
Sleeve and single anastamosis: ¼ cup mince and ¼ cup total volume of (salad, avocado and sweet potato)
Band and roux en Y bypass: ½ cup minced, ¼ cup sweet potato or avoid if you want a carb free meal plus salad